Sunday, February 28, 2010

Apple Muffins


I was really in the mood for a muffin yesterday but never got around to getting one… so, of course I made some today. I don’t know about you, but whenever I make muffins they come out kind of wimpy. I decided I really wanted to try to go for that bakery-like dome shape. I tried googling a bit to see what I could come up with. Here are my thoughts…

The most prevalent comment I could find was that it’s important to fill the muffin tins, like really fill them, maybe even over-fill them. Why do recipes always say to fill the tins two-thirds of the way? Silly. Go for it. Fill those babies up.


Other ideas... One site said to turn up the heat. It said most recipes call for the heat to be 350-375 but it’s better to start at about 425 for the first 10 minutes and then bring it down for the remaining cooking time. Another comment was that the batter should be thick – not at all pourable. And of course baking powder helps give things height.

With all this in mind I used a slightly rounded teaspoon of baking powder. Preheated to 425 and made 10 really filled muffins instead of 12 small ones. I also tinkered with the recipe the first few times I used it to combine grated apple and chopped apple (whatever kind you like). I think the combination gives the muffins a nice texture, moisture, and flavor. So these were not exactly the bakery size I was hoping for, but a step in the right direction for sure. Regardless, they are delicious.

Happy Muffin-ing!

Ingredients

Muffins:

  • 2 cups flour (I substituted about ¼ -½ cup of whole wheat flour)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ½ cup unsalted butter (softened)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ¼ tsp vanilla
  • 1 ½ cups chopped apple
  • 1 cup grated apples
Topping :
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tbls flour
  • 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 Tbls butter

Directions :
Preheat to 425. Line about 10 muffin tins (fill remaining tins ½ way with water before baking)

In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a large bowl beat butter, sugar and eggs until smooth. Add grated apples and beat. Mix in vanilla. Gradually add in flour mixture. Stir in apples. Fill muffin tins generously!

In a small bowl mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in cold butter with fingers until the mixture is like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of muffins.

Bake at 425 for about 8-10 minutes. Turn oven down to 375 and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment