Sunday, October 25, 2009

Homemade Oreos



I have had my eye on a homemade oreo recipe on Smitten Kitchen for months. Deb, the author of Smitten Kitchen, suggests that this recipe falls into the “you’ve been warned” category because once you make these you will have to make them a million times as everyone will love them and request them. I’m okay with that!

I grew up with an actual cookie jar that was almost always filled with oreos. We had a two cookie rule in our house so sometimes the oreos would even get stale – tragic. These days I don’t have oreos in my house unless they come in a 100-calorie pack and we all know those aren’t even close to the real thing. I have the feeling this version will get shared, and devoured before they get stale…

Happy dunking!

Ingredients:
For the chocolate wafers:
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa*
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
  • 1 large egg
For the filling:
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
  • 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:Set two racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 375°F.
In a food processor, or bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. While pulsing, or on low speed, add the butter, and then the egg. Continue processing or mixing until dough comes together in a mass.

Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately two inches apart. (With each batch I kept making them smaller because, while homemade, I still wanted them to resemble the real thing – and oreos are pretty small). With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once for even baking. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool.

(I look forward to a big suburban kitchen one day…. With limited counter space in my lovely NYC apartment I creatively found space for the cooling rack on top of the fridge)

To make the cream, place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.

To assemble the cookies, in a pastry bag with a 1/2 inch, round tip, pipe teaspoon-size blobs of cream into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.




*I’ve put the recipe on hold a few times because I didn’t have Dutch-process cocoa. I’ve used natural unsweetened cocoa in other recipes but I really wanted these to come out just right, so I finally remembered to buy Dutch-process cocoa and the results were delicious. According to my googling, Dutch-process cocoa is alkalized and therefore reacts differently with baking soda and baking powder than natural unsweetened cocoa.

2 comments:

  1. amazingly, i was googling dutch process cocoa today! where did you buy yours? the prices seem to vary wildly...

    this is next on my list to bake:
    www.nymag.com/restaurants/recipes/inseason/45991/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to mention "Uncle Oreo!" My dad, Stuart Brink, would always come into the house on Eliot and go directly for his brother's stash of oreos. Hence the nickname. We never kept them in the house because, well, none of us are good at "just eating two!"

    ReplyDelete