Sunday, June 14, 2009

Lemon Kissed Cupcake Tarts



So, I’m not a very good blogger. I haven’t been cooking much lately, and I tend to question what meals are truly blog worthy. But, today I finally whipped up a dessert creation I’m calling “lemon kissed cupcake tarts.” When I made the fragrant yellow cake in March I had some leftovers. I tried to make thin layers but the first attempt came out way too thin so I froze them and started from scratch. Today I took the frozen layers out of the freezer, cut them in tiny circles, and frosted them with lemon frosting. Yum.

Happy leftover-ing!





Fragrant Yellow Cake
see recipe here

Lemon Frosting
  • ½ cup of softened butter
  • 1 box of confectioners sugar
  • 1-2 tbls milk
  • 1-2 tbls lemon juice
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • ¼ - ½ Vanilla

I wasn’t in the mood to heat up eggs and make the fancy meringue frosting today so I went with the old buttercream standby from the back of the confectioners sugar box. Somewhere along the way I decided a lemon flavor would go nicely with the fruitiness of the cake. I had already put in 3 tbls of milk and about a tsp of vanilla; but I added lemon zest and lemon juice anyway. It still had a nice hint of lemon. In the future I might add less milk, more lemon juice and taste before adding vanilla. The recipe above is my best guess at how I would proceed next time. Remember, it’s always good to start with less liquid since you can add more lemon or milk, but you will likely not have extra confectioners sugar to thicken it up.

Assembly
Using a small round cookie cutter, or any small circular object, (I used the top of a spice jar) cut the cake into circles. Fill a zip lock bag with frosting and snip the edge to create a
piping bag. Once filled, twist and close the bag and snip a small hole at one corner. Pipe the tops of each circle with as much or as little frosting as you’d like.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for leftovers! I actually have some flash frozen biscuit dough in the freezer that I'm going to bake into something of a pot pie tonight.

    What kind of wine did you use for the yellow cake? My goodness, that cake was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, biscuits sound delish.

    I used a chardonnay for the cake, but I think any aromatic white would do the trick. Now that I've found a good yellow cake recipe I have to continue my search for the perfect chocolate cake/frosting...

    ReplyDelete